Design Research Solutions Collaborative (DRS. Collaborative), led by Dr. Nichole Campbell, takes a fresh approach addressing one of today's most pressing issues: meeting our aging population's needs. As research tells us, buildings impact individuals health, well-being, and behavior. Not only this, but the more challenged someone's capabilities, the more surroundings impact them. Because of this, it is critical to understand ways people, particularly the very young, very old, or the ill, are impacted by their environments. Because surroundings impact people in consistent ways, this understanding is generated by the study of the places we live, work, and play. As an expert in this area of research, Dr. Campbell's work is used to inform how to optimally design buildings and communities to help support an organization's goals and challenges.
So how does that work?
Organizations work together with Dr. Campbell to pinpoint goals and challenges. These may include a wide range of issues impacting people in a whole community or perhaps in just a single commercial space. For instance, these may include needing to:
- avoid building wasted space
- improve life quality for older adults
- decrease instances of illnesses such as depression
- enable older adults to live independently longer
- enhance health and productivity of employees/residents
- enliven a community social scene
- generate more word of mouth recommendations
- improve employee/resident satisfaction
- revive under-utilized spaces
- turn a place into a well-loved hangout
- reduce turnover and sick days
- increase customer loyalty.
Once these are identified, Dr. Campbell designs a study(s) to
understand the problem and inform appropriate solutions. These solutions are design strategies that may be implemented to improve the likelihood of producing the desired outcome(s). In other words, Dr. Campbell’s research is used to create buildings that help instead of hinder.
To set an appointment to discuss what your organization would like to accomplish, email Dr. Campbell's office at firstname.lastname@example.org.